Sunday, February 5, 2012

Popovers

I went to my youngest child's classroom to volunteer today and came back with a snack/lunch idea...popovers.  I was helping out with reading groups and one group had been going through a book in which the characters had "popovers and milk" after particularly tough days solving crimes.
So, after I got home, I had to have me a popover, seriously!  Mind you , I've never made a popover before. I went online and picked out a most simple recipe. Less than an hour later, these beauties popped out of my oven. They were crispy on the outside and fluffy- soft on the inside. And what a hit they were! My husband, who had dropped in for lunch, popped more than a few of these into his mouth- I had to hide the rest for the kids . A dollop (or two ) of butter and maybe a few drizzles of honey and you are good to go. Simple yummmover, is all I'm saying!


Recipe:
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt       
Method:
  • *Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  • *Grease and flour 12 wells in a regular cupcake/muffin tray. 
  • In a bowl, whisk your eggs till lightly beaten.
  • Add in flour, milk salt. Beat until smooth.
  • Pour halfway up each individual well.
  • Bake at 425 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
  • Reduce heat to 350 degrees for an additional 15 minutes or until done.   
Notes: 
You can use individual ramekins too, for which you'd probably fill up to 6-8 ramekins with above recipe.
Serve them nice and hot, with your choice of topping, maybe side to a salad...or, try them with some milk, like the crime-solving characters in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Proud to be an Indiblogger